Merton Council

Home Home Merton Adult Education Home Jobs in children's social care Home Wandle Valley Low Carbon Zone Home Safeguarding Children Board Home Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
This page will shortly be moving to our new website

Register to vote

Your vote matters

Before you can vote in UK elections or referendums you need to register to vote. If you move house or change your name you need to register with your new details.

On this page

When to register

You can normally register up to 12 working days before an election or referendum.

St Helier by election - Thursday 20 July 2017

Tuesday 4 July is the last date to apply to register to vote for this by election.

How to register

Join the register or amend your details

Follow the link below to join the electoral register or to amend your details:

Register to vote (GOV.UK website)

A few days after you apply, we will contact you by letter or email to confirm that you're registered to vote, or to ask for more information.

Individual Electoral Registration

The way we all register to vote has changed.

The registration system changed in June 2014. The new system is called 'Individual Electoral Registration' (IER)

How is the new system different?

  • You can now register online.
  • Everyone is responsible for registering themselves. Under the old system the 'head of household' could register everyone who lives at their address.
  • You need to provide a few more details to register - including your national insurance number and date of birth. This makes the electoral register more secure.

Forms delivered every year

In order to know who is eligible to register to vote, in autumn each year we send household enquiry forms to all residential addresses in the borough. The household enquiry form lists those electors currently registered to vote at the address. This form is not a registration form but you do need to complete it.

The information you provide will enable us to remove the details of individuals that no longer live at the address and invite new people to register individually.

If you request a new name to be included on the voters list, an invitation to register form will be sent to that individual asking for further details. They do not have to wait for this form to be sent to them; instead they can go online and register at

If you request a name to be removed from the voters list, we will send that person a notice of our intention to remove them. After 14 days of the notice being sent the name will be removed, unless the person contacts us to inform otherwise.

It's important to provide the information requested. There is a criminal penalty for failing to provide the information of a maximum of a £1000.

Who can register

You can register at 16 years old, but you must be 18 or over to vote. To register to vote you must be British, or an EU or Commonwealth citizen living in the UK. See the list of eligible nationalities.

Which address to register at

You need to register at the address where you live. If you spend roughly the same time at two addresses - for example, you may be a student or working away from your normal home - you can register at both addresses. But you can only vote once at the same election.

Moving home

If you have moved house, please join the register at your new address. When you are added to the register at your new address you will be automatically be removed from the register at your old address.

The two versions of the register

We have to keep an open version of the register of electors as well as the full version of the register. The form you fill in to join the register asks if you do not want to appear on the open register.

The full register lists the name and address of everyone who is registered to vote. Anyone can look at it at our office, but there are legal restrictions on how it can be used. Only certain people and organisations can have copies of the full register, and they can only use it for specified purposes. The law says who can have a copy and what they can use it for. It is a criminal offence for them to pass it on to anyone else or to use it for any other purpose.

The main use of the full register is to show who can vote at elections and referendums. It can also be used for law enforcement. Merton Council can use the full register for its statutory functions relating to security, law enforcement and crime prevention. There is more information on this at the Fair data processing notice page.

Credit reference agencies can use the full register but only to check your name and address if you are applying for credit, and for other purposes specified in law. You can ask us if you want more details. There is more information in the frequently asked questions page at the About My Vote website.

The open register leaves out the names and addresses of people who have told us they do not want to be on the open register. It can be bought by, or passed on to, any person, company or organisation and it can be used for any purpose. This includes commercial activities such as marketing.

Removing your name from the register

You can opt out of the open register by using the online Register to Vote service. If more than one person at the same address wants to opt out at the same time you may prefer to print the opt-out form and email or post it to us.

You can register anonymously if you can show that your safety would be at risk if your name or address were listed on the electoral register. Please contact us directly for more information.

Online register searches

It is possible to search electoral registers using online commercial organisations. However, these organisations are only entitled to be supplied with information on the open register.

You may find that your name appears on an online search despite you telling us that you do not want your name on the open register. This can happen if your details were passed on to the commercial organisation before you told us that you did not want to be on the open register. It may be that you have been living at your address since before 2002; when there was only one version of the register.

You should contact the commercial organisation if you want your name removed from their online search because your name is not on the up-to-date open register.

Historical electoral registers

Some historical electoral registers and parish registers are available to view at Merton Heritage and Local Studies Centre.

See also: Family History.

See also

Contact us

Electoral Services
Merton Civic Centre
London Road

If visiting, please go to Merton Link main reception. Office hours are 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Telephone: 020 8274 4901. During election periods this is usually staffed outside of normal visiting times.
Fax: 020 8545 3249

This page was last updated on Thursday 15 June 2017

Top of page