Merton Council

Home Home Merton Adult Education Home Jobs in children's social care Home Wandle Valley Low Carbon Zone Home Safeguarding Children Board Home Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
This page will shortly be moving to our new website
Pledge to love your street

Comment on a planning application

A comment or objection to a planning application is called a "representation".

To comment on, or object to a current planning application, please submit it by email to:

You should include the following details:

  1. Application reference number (this can be found on our weekly lists of new planning applications or via our Planning Explorer.)
  2. Your name
  3. Your address
  4. Planning application description
  5. Your comments

Please note that comments submitted to the council cannot be treated as confidential and will be made available for public inspection without exception.


Please also note that, as of the 23 August 2011, we will no longer be able to give written acknowledgement of any representation that we receive. If you send an email then you will receive an automated response that can be treated as an acknowledgement. If you send a written representation then you will not receive a confirmation letter.

You can check that your representation has been received by using the Planning Explorer to search for the applicable application number and then checking for files called representation(s) in the 'view related documents' link. Emails are usually uploaded to the planning explorer within two working days; letters received in the post may take longer due to the vagaries of the national post system.

What happens next

All comments will be passed on to the relevant planning officer for consideration.

We must allow a minimum of 21 days before determining an application to allow time for comments to be submitted - this is known as the statutory timeframe for consultation. We also accept comments made between the statutory limit and the date of decision, where practical.

Representations are kept on file with the application and form part of the public record; which must be presented upon request. We also publish representations on our website without exception.

If an application is due to be determined at Planning Applications Committee level, this means that Local Councillors will make the decision directly. Applicants, agents and those who have had a representation acknowledged, will be informed by letter. Anyone who wishes to speak at the Planning Applications Committee should contact the case officer in the first instance; or email the Planning Admin duty service (see contact details below).

For further details about the procedures for speakers at the Committee, please see the item “Agenda Front Pages” on the most recent Planning Applications Committee agenda; which can be found on the PAC Agenda webpage.

Certificates of lawful development or use

Applications for certificates of lawful development or use are not subject to consultation requirements and, therefore, we will not send letters or display notices for these sorts of applications. Any representations received about certificate applications will be passed to the case officer but can have no impact upon the decision-making process.


If you wish to comment on a planning appeal then you must send your representations directly to the Planning Inspectorate.

The Planning Inspectorate have changed the procedures for Householder appeals (except for those against a non-determination). The process has been made simpler and faster: third parties no longer have the right to make representations for these sorts of appeals and Inspector site visits will be unaccompanied. However, representations made during the life of the planning application will be sent to the Planning Inspector by the Council.

The Planning Inspectorate's general address is below - please note that the room number and wing may vary depending upon which inspector has been allocated the appeal.

The Planning Inspectorate
Room 3/05 Kite Wing
Temple Quay House
2 The Square
Temple Quay
Bristol BS1 6PN
Telephone: 0117 372 6372

Appeals (Planning Portal website)

Contact us

Development Control
London Borough of Merton
Merton Civic Centre
London Road

Telephone: 020 8545 3777

This page was last updated on Tuesday 31 May 2016

Top of page