Merton Council

Home Home Merton Adult Education Home Jobs in children's social care Home Wandle Valley Low Carbon Zone Home Safeguarding Children Board Home Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
This page will shortly be moving to our new website
How do I contact my councillor?

Income and how it affects your benefits

Your entitlement to Housing Benefit (HB) or Council Tax Support (CTS) depends on your income. When we calculate your income, some types of income are ignored or disregarded.

Ignored income

Where a claimant is getting any of the following, we will ignore their income and they will qualify for the full maximum HB and CTS:

  • income based Jobseeker's Allowance; or
  • Income Support; or
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance; or
  • guarantee element of Pension Credit; or
  • treated as getting these benefits

Income that is not ignored

We will take into account all other income including:

  • earnings
  • self-employed earnings
  • pensions
  • certain state benefits
  • rent received from tenants or boarders

Disregarded income

Some incomes are fully or partly disregarded when working out a person's income. These include:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Business expenses paid with salary;
  • Charitable voluntary payments;
  • Disability living allowance;
  • Fostering payments
  • Child maintenance payments
  • Payments (e.g. house keeping) from a non dependant;

See also

Contact us

Merton Benefits Service
PO Box 610
Merton Civic Centre
London Road

Telephone: 020 8274 4903
Textphone: 020 8545 3959
Fax: 020 8545 3960

This page was last updated on Thursday 18 December 2014

Top of page