Merton Council

Home Home Merton Adult Education Home Jobs in children's social care Home Wandle Valley Low Carbon Zone Home Safeguarding Children Board Home Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
This page will shortly be moving to our new website
Council tax e-billing

Weights and measures

Display of drinks in a pub

Weighing and measuring equipment that is used for trading is regulated by law. When you visit the shops, fill your car with petrol or go to the pub you may be purchasing items that require weighing or measuring.

What we do

We ensure that weighing and measuring equipment dispenses products accurately and fairly. We do this by checking equipment such as weighing scales, petrol pumps, pub measures and weighbridges to make sure they are right. We also verify that packaged goods marked with a weight or measure are correct and that you are getting what you pay for.

What you can do

You can let us know if you think you have been sold something that is not the correct weight or measure. Please call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06. You will be offered advice on your query and the matter will be referred to us if necessary.

Business advice

If your business is based in the borough and you need advice about this subject or other consumer and fair trading matters, you can contact us directly at You can also visit the Business Companion website which covers all major Trading Standards legislation.

For comprehensive and up to date guidance on how to deal with customer complaints, refunds and returns visit the Sale of Goods Act (SOGA) hub website. All the training and promotional materials provided are available to access online or to download in a variety of formats.

Testing service

We provide a testing service for weighing or measuring equipment used by local businesses. If you require this service please contact us at

Related websites

Contact us

Trading Standards
Merton Civic Centre
London Road

Tel: 020 8545 3025

Consumer Advice

The Citizens Advice consumer service provides free, confidential and impartial advice on consumer issues. Visit or call the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on 03454 04 05 06.

This page was last updated on Thursday 19 November 2015

Top of page