Merton Council

Home Home Merton Adult Education Home Jobs in children's social care Home Wandle Valley Low Carbon Zone Home Safeguarding Children Board Home Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
This page will shortly be moving to our new website
Sorry, some web pages will be unavailable between 8pm on Friday and 6pm on Saturday. If the service you require isn't available please try again later. This is due to planned maintenance work.
Lock up your worry - pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit

Changing the Designated Premises Supervisor

Anywhere in the borough that sells alcohol must have a person designated as premises supervisor on its premises licence (club certificates and temporary event notices excluded). This Designated Premises Supervisor (DPS) must have a personal licence to sell alcohol.

The DPS can only be one particular named person at any one time, but the premises licence holder can change who it is any number of times using the procedure below. This is known as a 'DPS Variation'.

How to apply

1. The Application Form needs to be printed out and completed by the premises licence holder.

When doing this, please note the following recent text from the website:

"The application to vary a premises licence to specify an individual as designated premises supervisor under the Licensing Act 2003 asks the licensee to give a copy of the form to the existing premises supervisor. The completed form contains personal information about the proposed new DPS and sharing this information would be in breach of the Data Protection Act 1998. It is sufficient for the licensee to inform the DPS that the application has been made, without the need to share the specific details of the application. A full copy of the application form must still be sent to police. The form will be amended via regulations as soon as possible to make this clear."

2. The Consent Form needs to be printed out and completed by the prospective new DPS.

3. Pay the application fee of £23, using any of these methods:

- by card by phoning 020 8545 3969 during office hours Mon-Fri (but this needs to be done before you send us your application rather than after);

– by arranging a BACS transfer by phoning 020 8545 3969 (allow three working days for the payment to clear before submitting your application);

– by enclosing a cheque (or postal order) with your application (payable to 'The London Borough of Merton'). Put today's date on the cheque, make sure the amount is correct in both words and figures and do not forget to sign it;

- The Council's Cash Office closed on 30 September 2013. The only way to pay licensing fees in cash now is by reporting to Reception at Merton Civic Centre. When it is your turn, you will be asked for the amount and a cost code (G00740RB34). Keep one receipt and put the second with your application.

[Please note that you cannot pay licensing fees at post offices or PayPoint - this only applies to certain Council payments such as Council Tax. Also, please do not send cash in the post under any circumstances.]

4. Then either

- apply electronically by scanning your application and sending it as one or more e-mail attachments to, explaining in the body of the e-mail what it is and quoting any payment reference that you have been given,


- post the original application form(s), enclosures and cheque (or proof of payment in paper form) to: Licensing, London Borough of Merton, 1st Floor Annexe, Civic Centre, London Road, Morden, Surrey, SM4 5DX.

If you apply electronically, we will forward your e-mail to the responsible authority below as required by the regulations and you will not have to. If you do not apply electronically but on paper, you must fulfil this requirement yourself by sending a copy of your application documentation (without the fee) to The Police at this address:

The Chief Officer of Police,
Russ Stevens 852VW, Licensing Office, Wimbledon Police Station, 15 Queens Road, London, SW19 8NN


  • You cannot make this application online at this time.
  • It is when we receive the application that matters, not when it was sent. You may wish to give extra attention to envelope weight and size and possibly recorded delivery etc.. Alternatively you can hand over the application in person at Merton Civic Centre Reception and ask for it to be put in the 'Licensing Folder'.

Contact us

London Borough of Merton
1st Floor Annexe
Merton Civic Centre
London Road

Telephone: 020 8545 3969

This page was last updated on Friday 28 April 2017

Top of page