Merton Council

Home Home Merton Adult Education Home Jobs in children's social care Home Wandle Valley Low Carbon Zone Home Safeguarding Children Board Home Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
This page will shortly be moving to our new website
Sorry, some web pages will be unavailable between 8pm on Friday and 6pm on Saturday. If the service you require isn't available please try again later. This is due to planned maintenance work.
Lock up your worry - pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit

Noise nuisance

We deal with noise problems by assessing whether the noise is unreasonable. Noise that is unreasonable will then be dealt with as a 'statutory nuisance' under the powers in the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

What we can do

The action we take will depend on the nature of the problem and could range from writing a warning letter to serving a legal ‘noise abatement’ notice.

Before formal action can be taken we must have evidence that a noise nuisance is occurring. This could involve obtaining witness statements from complainants, officers making visits to witness the noise or the installation of sound recording equipment to allow complainants to record the noise. Complainants will usually be required to keep a log of the times that noise occurs and may be required to appear in court.

Failure to comply with an abatement notice is an offence and we can prosecute. We also have the powers to seize equipment and issue fixed penalty notices.

Contact us

You can report noise nuisance online using the Street Scene Form

During office hours 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, telephone 020 8545 3025.

For complaints of noise from parties on Saturday nights between 11pm and 4am, please call our out of hours noise service on 020 8543 9750. In June, July and August the service is also available on Fridays from 11pm to 4am. Please note that this service will not be provided over the Christmas/New Year period.

Types of noise

Environmental Health can deal with a variety of noise issues including:

  • DIY activities
  • Noise from commercial premises (extract systems, air conditioning units)
  • Barking dogs.

Inadequate sound insulation

Environmental Health cannot deal with noise from everyday domestic activity that can be heard as a result of poor sound insulation.

Taking your own legal action

Sometimes council officers cannot obtain sufficient evidence necessary to take action in respect to noise nuisance. The provisions of Section 82 of the Environmental Protection Act give you the ability to take your own action.  Please download our taking your own action pack for further information.

See also

Contact us

Environmental Health Section
London Borough of Merton
Merton Civic Centre
London Road

Tel: 020 8545 3025

This page was last updated on Friday 23 December 2016

Top of page