Merton Council

Home Home Merton Adult Education Home Jobs in children's social care Home Wandle Valley Low Carbon Zone Home Safeguarding Children Board Home Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
This page will shortly be moving to our new website

Advice for children and young people - safeguarding children

If you’ve got a problem or are worried about someone, such as a brother, sister or a friend, it can be hard to know what to do. But you don’t have to cope on your own. The information below should help you get the best advice and help now or in the future.

National Guidance

The Children's Commissioner has published the following leaflets for Children and Young People about how agencies will work together to keep them safe.

Young Person’s Guide to Keeping Children Safe

Young Person’s Guide to Working Together to Safeguard Children

Child abuse or neglect

six children sitting in a rowAs a child or young person you have the right to grow up safe from people hurting you. All adults have a responsibility to protect you. You can find more information for children and young people here: Are you worried about child abuse?

Domestic Violence

Women's Aid have created a website called The Hideout to help children and young people to understand domestic abuse, and how to take positive action if it's happening to you.

There is more information here: Domestic violence - the effect on children and young people

Child Sexual Exploitation

Child sexual exploitation is a major child protection issue across the UK. Hidden from view and going unnoticed, vulnerable young girls and boys are groomed and then abused, leaving them traumatised and scarred for life.

For more information on sexual exploitation see

Are you living away from home and under 16 years (or under 18 years if disabled)?Private fostering

If you are living away from your parents for more than 28 days and you are not cared for by a close relative, then you may be a privately fostered child. The law says that children in these situations must be visited by a social worker regularly to check that they are safe and well cared for. If you think you are a privately fostered child, talk to your carers about what you have read. If this is difficult, then try talking to a trusted adult, such as a teacher or youth worker about what should happen. Information for privately fostered children is available via Somebody else's child website.

Drugs and alcohol misuse

Children and young people can be significantly harmed by misuse of drugs and alcohol by others including adult family members.  There is a list of organisations who can give information and advice in the Merton Family Services Directory

Sexual health, drugs & alcohol services for teenagers in South West London

Talk to someone

six children holding hands in a circleIf you need to talk to somebody, contact your teacher, school nurse, youth worker or another trusted adult.

Social Workers

You may also speak with a social worker.

Telephone: 020 8545 4226 or 020 8545 4227 (out of office hours: 020 8770 5000) or email

In an emergency dial 999 and ask for the Police


Childline is the free confidential helpline for children and young people in the UK.

Telephone: 0800 1111

Childline website


The National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (NSPCC) gives advice about what to do if you are worried or scared.

Telephone: 0808 800 5000

four young people smiling at the camera close up

Staying safe online - e-safety

Staying safe online webpage

CEOP's webpages for young people: ThinkUKnow website

Information on how to stay safe online

Advice for young people, parents and teachers on a range of issues and covers reducing the risks of online fraud, hackers, viruses and other threats, go to: Get safe online website

Child employment

Are you at school and thinking about getting a job?  For information on your rights and the law regarding age restrictions, hours that children can work and the jobs they can and can't do, go to our Child Employment page.

Contact us

Merton SCB
9th floor Civic Centre
London Road

Telephone: 020 8545 4866


This page was last updated on Monday 18 January 2016

Top of page