Merton Council

Home Home Merton Adult Education Home Jobs in children's social care Home Wandle Valley Low Carbon Zone Home Safeguarding Children Board Home Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
This page will shortly be moving to our new website
Lock up your worry - pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit

What to do if you think that a child is being abused or neglected

triangle what to do if you are worried about a child

It is everybody’s responsibility to keep children and young people safe. If you are not sure if a child is at risk – seek advice from a ‘designated person’ in your agency or speak to a MASH* worker (*Multi-agency Safeguarding Hub).

In March 2015 the Government updated its general leaflet for professionals about child protection What to do if you are worried a child is being abused  The leaflet will also be helpful to the members of the public who are worried about a child.

What to do if you’re worried a child is being abused: Advice for practitioners 2015

In Merton:

Our local multi-agency services are aimed at supporting children, young people and parents within their birth families. Local agencies have a range of services to support families. See links for further information about the Merton Well-Being Model and general support to children in need, as well as Common and Shared Assessment (CASA) for Early Help assessments.

This page gives details about who to contact if you are worried that a child who lives in Merton may be at risk of harm from:

Neglect, physical abuse, emotional abuse or sexual abuse

Sexual Exploitation  - usually involving people outside the family, organised abuse, coercion  for more guidance see  Child Sexual Exploitation

Contact us

MASH* Team
Children, Schools and Families Department
12th Floor, Merton Civic Centre
London Road

Telephone: 020 8545 4226 or 020 8545 4227 (out of hours: 020 8770 5000)

Fax: 020 8545 4204

You do not have to give your name and your conversation will be treated confidentially.

You may also contact us by email:

Or in an emergency contact the police by telephone on 999

You can report a child protection concern on the Merton Safeguarding Children Referral form.

What will happen if you contact us with a concern

For more information on the MASH, see the MASH webpages

This page was last updated on Thursday 12 May 2016

Top of page