Merton Council

Home Home Merton Adult Education Home Jobs in children's social care Home Wandle Valley Low Carbon Zone Home Safeguarding Children Board Home Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
This page will shortly be moving to our new website
Sorry, some web pages will be unavailable between 8pm on Friday and 6pm on Saturday. If the service you require isn't available please try again later. This is due to planned maintenance work.
My Merton - the latest news and information from your council

Children in Entertainment

Children from aged 0 to16 years (inclusive) working in the field of entertainment, in paid employment or as amateurs may need to be licensed by the Local Authority.

Application for a licence for a child in entertainment.

Some examples of areas requiring a license include:

  • Modelling
  • Film/Stage work
  • Voice overs
  • Performing in amateur dramatics
  • A dancing performance/choir recital

The aim of this process is to safeguard children in entertainment.

We operate a clear, straightforward application process. We require:

  • At least 7 working days notice prior to the date of performance
  • Completion of the part one form by the production company
  • Completion of the part two form by the parent/guardian
  • Supporting evidence

We endeavour to provide the license in a timely manner, providing all the necessary paperwork is completed on time.

The legislation governing licensing children in entertainment differentiates requirements for a license depending on several factors including the age of the child, the type of work and hours to be worked  

In some cases a license may not be required so we recommend that all applicants telephone the Education Welfare Service to discuss their individual application.

Chaperones for children in Entertainment

If you wish to apply to be a chaperone to children in entertainemnt you will need to complete the application form below and contact us to arrange to come to the Civic Centre to complete an online DBS application so that the necessary checks can be made.

Chaperone Application Form

Body of Persons Approval (for children who are unpaid in entertainment)

Amateur organisations who are planning productions to take place in Merton may apply for a Body of Persons Approval which will reduce the necessity to apply for individual children's performance licences.

See Also

Contact us

Education Welfare Service
10th Floor
Merton Civic Centre
London Road
Morden SM4 5DX

Telephone: 020 8545 4021
Fax: 020 8545 3443

This page was last updated on Monday 9 January 2017

Top of page