Merton Council

Home Home Merton Adult Education Home Jobs in children's social care Home Wandle Valley Low Carbon Zone Home Safeguarding Children Board Home Joint Strategic Needs Assessment
This page will shortly be moving to our new website

St John the Divine and Nelson Gardens

High Path, South WimbledonSt John the Divine Church

This building is on the Nelson Trail.

Designed by Architect, C. Gage, the church was built in 1913/14 to mark the anniversary of the death of Lord Nelson. The Admiral’s house, Merton Place, stood near the site and the church lies on ground formerly part of Nelson’s 160 acre estate.

The church is Gothic in style and includes stained glass designed by the Pre-Raphaelite artist, Edward Burne-Jones, a partner in the successful art and craft works founded by William Morris and transferred to Merton in 1881. The altarpiece in the church is made from timber taken from Nelson’s flagship, HMS Victory.

Like the church, Nelson Gardens Recreation Ground was created on a parcel of land donated by the great nephew of Rear Admiral Isaac Smith, to mark the centenary of Nelson’s death. The site holds a commemorative plaque and a fine pair of 12 pounder guns, once thought to have adorned the lawn of Merton Place.

How to get there

The church is within easy walking distance of South Wimbledon Underground Station and the following bus routes: 57, 93, 152, 493.

For more information tel: 020 8542 3283

See also

This page was last updated on Friday 28 October 2011

Top of page